30 years of "Plea of Berlin - Make Peace without weapons"
Robert Havemann and pastor Rainer Eppelmann published in the GDR the Berlin Appeal - peace without weapons, with which they demand an all-German peace movement and with which they ask for disarmament in east and west.
30 years of foundation of the east german peace movement
On February 13, 1982 the east german peace movement was founded to remember the victims of the war. This date has a strong symbolic for the peace movement, because it ist also the date of the destruction of the church of our lady (Frauenkirche) in 1945. At this time another peace movement "swords into plowshares" had a high publicity.
This new movement was initiated by christians in Dresden as addition and opposite to the known peace movement. Every year at February 13 the silent memory for the victims of the war at the ruins of the church took place. In the later 80s the christian background of the formation and the peaceful campaigns created the basement for the upgrowing civil-right activists.